This is my husband’s absolute favorite dinner right now. We are big fans of Mexican cuisine in our family and I have been known to schedule the whole week with Mexican recipes.
This is such a simple recipe but filled with flavor. You start off with your basic meatloaf ingredients and then add a package of taco seasoning into the meat.
Instead of topping your meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce you top it with a can of tomatoes with chilies. You could also use a can of salsa if you wanted. Just make sure you drain as much as you can out of the can because you will get enough liquid from the cooking process.
As soon as I pull my meatloaf out of the crock pot I sprinkle with cheese and if you wait while the meat rests the cheese will melt.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef I use 97% fat free
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can tomatoes w/chilies drained
- 1/2 cup low fat mexican cheese
- Mix the meat, taco seasoning, bread crumbs, and egg.
- Spray crock pot well with cooking spray
- Shape meat into a log and place in crock pot
- Pour drained tomatoes with chilies over meat
- Cook on high for 3.5 hours, or on low for 6-7. The meat is done when it is cooked thoroughly and has browned on top and darkened on the edges.
- Cut loaf into 6 slices and serve with cheese sprinkled on slices
Servings: 6 | Calories: 149 | Fat: 6 | Carbohydrate: 6 | Fiber: 1 | Protein: 21