My husband is a burger fan and when I first started changing our diet I thought that we were going to have to cut them out. But then I found that you can purchase ground beef at the same fat percentage as low fat turkey: 93% fat free. Yes beef has a few more calories, but my husband prefers the taste over turkey. He hasn’t even noticed that we switched to the low fat version of ground beef.
Now the one thing I am having a hard time switching to is turkey pepperoni, but I have just decided he will have to suffer! I can’t taste a difference and the difference in calories is huge.
Since it is grilling season I decided I had to make a great stuffed burger. I had some pepperoni I wanted to use up in the fridge and realized what a great combo – burgers and pizza.
- 1 pound Extra Lean Hamburger 6% fat
- 1 ounce turkey pepperoni
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese low fat
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 4 thin buns
- Create 8 very thin hamburger patties
- On four of the patties sprinkle cheese in the center of burgers
- Place pepperoni on top of the cheese
- Put 1 teaspoon of sauce on the pepperoni
- Place plain patties on top of stuffing and pinch edges closed
- Cook burger through
- Serve on a thin bun with more sauce
[box type="alert" icon="none"]Servings: 4 | Calories: 324 | Fat: 10 | Carbohydrate: 22 | Fiber: 4 | Protein: 34[/box]