Healthy Sausage & Pancake Muffins
A great go to snack or quick breakfast for our family is muffins. I’ve shared some of my favorite muffins in the past. But as we are trying to eat healthier I haven’t been baking as much. I’ve been wanting to try and figure out a few muffins that will be healthier options for my boys.
I wanted something with more protein and less sugar. Then I thought about how adding sausage would be a great way to get protein and a great breakfast is pancakes and sausage.
I had some light syrup in the pantry that I could use as the sugar for the muffins. A great way to cut the calories.
Then I remembered you could replace oil in the recipe with greek yogurt, which means even more protein and less calories.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low calorie syrup
- 2 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 lb chicken breakfast sausage
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
- Brown sausage
- In a large bowl mix flours, baking soda, and salt
- In a second bowl mix syrup, eggs, milk, and greek yogurt till smooth
- Add sausage to liquid mixture and fold in
- Pour liquids into flour mixture
- Mix till barely mixed together and still lumpy, do not over mix.
- Line muffin tin with papers and fill with muffin mix
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or till golden brown