Twice Baked Mashed “Potatoes” (Cauliflower)
No potatoes were harmed in the making of this dish! Actually this dish is low calorie and low carb by substituting potatoes with cauliflower.
I have used cauliflower to replace rice in my diet and I had heard of people using it to replace mashed potatoes. With thanksgiving coming right around the corner I wanted to try making a faux potato dish. I wanted something healthy and yummy for potlucks and Thanksgiving dinner this year.
I promise you this is an amazing recipe! My first nibble of the “potatoes” and I was hooked. I hadn’t even gotten the cheese and bacon on the top yet!
Handi Foil pans made this recipe quick and easy. I just spread out the cauliflower and started spreading the toppings. I didn’t worry about the cheese sticking to the sides or what I needed to do to make clean up easier for me.
What was also nice was because I was making this only for my family not for a potluck. I was able to use one of Handi Foil cake pans after we ate our fill I placed a lid on it and stored it in the fridge for the next meal.
The next day I made roast beef rolls. I placed a spoonful of this awesome dish into a slice of roast beef lunch meat and rolled it up. I made about four of these and had a quick, healthy and yummy lunch.
- 2 heads cauliflower cooked
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 6 slices bacon crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Place cooked cauliflower, cream cheese, garlic,1/2 cup cheese, butter and salt & pepper in food processor (I had to do two batches for this large of a recipe), process till smooth
- Spread mashed cauliflower into a large baking dish
- Sprinkle with bacon and remaining cheese
- Cook for 20 minutes
- How to cook cauliflower in microwave:
- Pour ¼ cup of water in shallow dish.
- Core the cauliflower and place the head downwards.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for three minutes.
- Protect your hands with oven mitts, and flip the whole cauliflower over and cook another 3 minutes
- Repeat until the consistency you need