TJ’s Healthy Stroganoff
Picky Eaters! I know you all have one in your family and I am sure that is usually one your children – but I have two in my family. My five year old but also my husband, TJ. If it’s not meat, meat, and more meat than it is suspicious. Even if I just put a dash of something he doesn’t like in a full pot, he can pick it out. Now I do have to mention that he is working on getting better at this and has been really trying lots of new things.
I have been really wanting to try and make a healthier version of stroganoff. But I had a few problems, TJ does not like mushrooms or sour cream or yogurt (which I use to substitute for sour cream a lot). So we will just say that this is a very nontraditional stroganoff. But it does have meat so TJ was game to try it.
This recipe is a little higher in calories than most meals I serve for dinner. But you know what TJ loved it! So I will be adding it to our menu plans every so often.
- 1 pound beef steak sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 t crushed peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon bay leaves
- 1 package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 package no yolk egg noodles (about 3 cups cooked)
- Place meat, spices, and stock into crock pot.
- Place cream cheese on top of meat
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours
- One hour before dinner shred the meat and stir cream cheese in (takes a bit of stirring to get it creamy)
- Cook uncovered for last hour
- Follow directions on package of egg noodles