I try to cut costs on my baking by only picking up one fresh herb for each week. This way we get to enjoy the flavor of fresh herbs in our food, but I don’t have to stress about the herbs going bad before I use them up. I do look through our recipes for the week and find what will work the best with most of the recipes and the menu plan.
I’ve made this soup with dill and with basil before. Both turned out wonderful. What’s nice is that you can substitute any fresh herb you have available. Or if you
- 2 garlic minced
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons fresh herbs minced
- 2 cups stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, fresh herbs and stock heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook carrots until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use hand blender to blend carrots until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
[box]Amount Per Servings: 4 | Calories: 148 | Fat: 7 | Carbohydrate: 30 | Fiber: 6 | Protein: 9[/box]