One of the things that has been hard to let go of on my low carb diet is pasta. But I have found some alternatives to the traditional recipes that are lighter and healthier. Most do not include pasta but this one does include noodles, egg noodles.
I’ve considered making lasagna with zucchini “noodles” but hubby just doesn’t love zucchini, so instead I created this recipe for him. The recipe below asks for diced tomatoes, but I don’t include those for him as he doesn’t like tomato chunks. So they are optional if you are a tomato person.
This is one of the recipes that I am making a large batch at the beginning of the week and reheat it for the night hubby is at school. This recipe is amazing reheated! The flavors just meld and grow as the soup sits in the fridge, so make a little extra so you have leftovers!
I used this amazing meat I found at the store Jenny O Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey. Wow that meat is just filled with flavor and is so good. But if you cannot find this at your local store grab a package of turkey sausage.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 pound Jenny O Italian seasoned ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup italian blend cheese
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick saucepot and saute onion and garlic
- Add ground turkeyand cook till cooked thouroughly
- Add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, add 1/2 cup cheese and ricotta stirring
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring often
- Add noodles and continue to simmer 9 minutes
- Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons of cheese and serve
Servings: 8 | Calories: 251 | Fat: 12 | Carbohydrate: 14 | Fiber: 2 | Protein: 23