This is my husband’s absolute favorite dinner right now. We are big fans of Mexican cuisine in our family and I have been known to schedule the whole week with Mexican recipes.
This is such a simple recipe but filled with flavor. You can make it in the crock pot or in the oven. I love using the crock pot as I can throw everything in the pot in the morning and it only takes a couple seconds to put it all together for dinner.
Click the images for step by step instructions.
Instead of topping your meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce you top it with a can of tomatoes with chilies. You could also use a can of salsa if you wanted. Just make sure you drain as much as you can out of the can because you will get enough liquid from the cooking process. I think this is one of the reasons TJ likes this recipe better than traditional meatloaf as he is not a fan of ketchup or barbecue sauce.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef I use 97% fat free
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can tomatoes w/chilies drained
- 1/2 cup low fat mexican cheese
- Mix the meat, taco seasoning, bread crumbs, and egg.
- Spray crock pot well with cooking spray
- Shape meat into a log and place in crock pot
- Pour drained tomatoes with chilies over meat
- Cook on high for 3.5 hours, or on low for 6-7. The meat is done when it is cooked thoroughly and has browned on top and darkened on the edges.
- Sprinkle cheese on loaf while meat rests for a few minutes. If the cheese doesn’t fully melt you can place under broiler for a few minutes on an oven safe dish.
- Cut loaf into 6 slices and serve
Oven Directions: Bake for 1 hour at 350°F, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf reads 155°F.
Servings: 6 | Calories: 149 | Fat: 6 | Carbohydrate: 6 | Fiber: 1 | Protein: 21