This post brought to you by Handi-Foil. All opinions are my own.
This is actually a family recipe, a recipe that my mother in law makes and my husband loves. But as you can imagine with pasta this recipe is not light. So I really wanted to find a way to make this family favorite healthier.
My mother in law was at my house as I cooked this and help me, as her recipe is not written but remembered. I actually learned something new about the recipe. I’ve always added liquid smoke to the traditional recipe, but really she used to only add that when she couldn’t find smoked bacon.
This is a great dish to feed lots of people, I used the Handi-Foil 13×9 cake pan to make this family sized main course. This would be a great recipe to make and take to a a neighbor or friend who may need a day off of cooking.
- 8 cups spaghetti squash about 1 large or 2 small
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 12 slices bacon chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place on pan upside down and roast for 45 minutes
- Spray pan with non stick spray and cook till opaque
- Add ground turkey and brown
- Pul spaghetti squash out of the oven let cool so you can handle
- Use a fork to scrape out the flesh from the spaghetti squash
- Mix spaghetti sauce and smoke together
- Add sauce, bacon, turkey, and spaghetti squash in bowl and toss
- Spray 13×9 pan with cooking spray
- Layer half spaghetti squash mixture on bottom of pan
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese
- Layer the rest of the spaghetti squash mixture
- Sprinkle with rest of cheese
- Cook in oven for 20-30 minutes or till middle is warmed
Amount Per Serving