I have to admit every so often I’m tempted by my boys Mac N Cheese. Something about that cheese and pasta brings back those childhood memories of comfort. But as you know I try to avoid pasta, it is one of the things you have to be very careful with a Lapband.
I was staring at my second half of a spaghetti squash sitting on my counter and had an epiphany. I realized with spaghetti squash I may not get that perfect little macaroni texture but I could get that ooey gooey cheesey yumminess with a cheese sauce on the squash.
One thing you have to do when you have made the choice to live a healthier lifestyle is find replacements for food that you love. But this does not mean that you have to give up flavor, actually you may find things that you will love even more than the original food. This recipe is a good example of this. When you try a real cheese sauce versus the packaged powdered you will never go back!
- 1/2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Place spaghetti squash in a bowl with about 2 inches of water on the bottom
- Microwave 15 minutes
- Add cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, butter, and half the cheese into a sauce pan
- Melt and if you want really smooth use a hand blender to smooth out cottage cheese
- Toss cooked spaghetti squash with cheese sauce top with cheese and panko bread crumbs
Servings: 2 | Calories: 274 | Fat: 15 | Carbohydrate: 23 | Fiber: 2 | Protein: 17