I finally found a homemade chicken nugget Zane will eat! I has taken me multiple recipe tries and about a year to find it. These will stay nice a crisp and the texture is closer to fast food chicken nuggets. I was also able to make them gluten free!
I found that the ground chicken helped so much with the texture, which makes a big difference for us. Zane has a lot of troubles chewing meat so using chicken breast for the nuggets never worked. But be warned the ground chicken is pretty sticky so your fingers will get pretty messy. But that’s half the fun right?
I didn’t crush the rice krispies to dust because I wanted a bit more crunch to them, but if you want a smoother texture just crush cereal very fine.
The nuggets freeze great and when you reheat them are just as crunchy as the fresh ones. To freeze them, place them on a cookie sheet and place cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen through place into a ziploc bag to use later.
These chicken nuggets are very yummy and even a great treat for adults. I would add some more seasoning if you are serving to adults. You could even toss these in Franks Red Hot Sauce for buffalo nuggets!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 cup gluten free rice crispies seperated
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place rack in top slot
- Crush 2 cups rice krispies in bowl. Leave some chunks, don’t crush till dust.
- Mix ground chicken, egg & 1 cup rice krispies
- Make 1 inch balls and place in crushed rice krispies till covered
- Place on cookie sheet covered in tin foil sprayed very lightly with cooking spray if you want
- Bake for 10 minutes pull out and flip
- Back for 5 minutes
If cooking from frozen: Bake for 20 minutes on one side and 5 minutes once flipped.
Amount Per Serving