Some of my photos are terrible this week. The weather is changing here and in Oregon even mid day can be dark and gloomy. I’m hoping to create a light box this weekend to try and get better photos for you.
Instead of pretty photos for you this week you will be getting a recipe for the my Healthy Taco Muffins!
This week I planned on all muffins for the main courses. It does take a bit of prep work on Sunday to have all the muffins ready for the week. But this is a great idea for a week you want to pre pack the weeks lunches.
Monday: Corn Dog Muffins, grapes, and carrots. I also added a little more snack after I got some shopping done. I used my Gluten Free Corn Dog Recipe but instead of the gluten free flour I did 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of white flour.
Tuesday: Pancake & Sausage Muffins with apples, carrots, celery, and graham crackers for a treat.
Wednesday: Healthy Taco Muffins, grapes, olives, carrots and goldfish. I packed the lunch pretty full just in case he didn’t like the new muffins.
Thursday: Corn Dog Muffins, cheddar cheese, Gogurt, broccoli and apple slices. Zane was getting tired of the muffins so instead of sending two muffins I sent one with extra snacks.
Friday: Corn Dog Muffin, Gogurt, grapes, and carrots. Some people may feel Gogurt is not a healthy choice, but with less than 10 sugars in each tube, I’m okay with them. They are also gluten free.
Things I Learned
- I don’t love the Ziploc boxes for kids lunches – they are really too big for kids. I could easily over pack these containers.
- Have a back up plan if your kid doesn’t love what you have planned for the week.
Corn Bread Base Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread-371581
Makes: 12 muffins
- 1/4 pound butter (the same as 1 stick or 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup taco meat
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place papers in muffin pan
- Melt butter in large microwavable bowl
- Stir in sugar
- Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended
- In separate container or large measuring cup, combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in bowl
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, taco meat and salt until well blended and few lumps remain
- Pour batter into muffin papers and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.