Are you overrun with cucumbers in your garden? Not sure how to use all of them before they go bad? I have a recipe for you.
Well I have a black thumb and have nothing growing in my garden, but I did get an amazing coupon deal on cucumbers and got as many cucumbers as I wanted for free!! But I wasn’t sure what I could do with tons of cucumbers. How do you preserve cucumbers?
Well you can’t freeze them, but you can turn them into pickles by canning them. Though I have nothing to use for canning and I am not sure if I could do it. So I started researching and I found that you can still make pickles without canning them. You can make Refrigerator Dill Pickles.
I didn’t have jar lids, so I used a rectangular plastic container. Actually this worked even better as I could stack the container on my shelves and saves on space used in my fridge.
- 6 cups cucumber slices
- 1 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoon salt not iodized
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs dill
- Add vinegar, water, salt and sugar to sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil
- While waiting for brine to boil layer cucumbers, dill, and garlic in container or jars
- When brine comes to a boil take off burner and let cool
- Once cooled add liquid to cucumbers and cover tightly
- Place in refrigerator